Monday, January 14, 2013

Lip Balm Bliss

I am a chap stick/lip balm addict. It’s true. I always have it with me and am known to freak out a little if I don't. I have it next to the couch where I sit in our living room, on the kitchen counter, several in my purse, the bathroom, next to my bed, next to my computer, next to where I sit to craft, in the car, in my husband’s truck…you get the idea.

I also happen to be picky. Weird, I know. I like it to last on my lips. I like it to taste clean. I like it to feel substantial. I like to know what’s in it and something really important to me is no animal testing.

Why didn't I think of making my own before?! I actually had but I thought it would be hard and time consuming and that it wouldn't turn out. I love to create and make things but I am also a perfectionist and I hate not being really good at something the first time; this, unfortunately, can prevent me from trying new things. *sigh*


In my head, and now to y’all, I call this lip balm “Kweli Kisses.” Kweli is our dog, our only child, my bff with four legs. If you know her, you know she has a powerful tail and a really big, slobbery tongue headed to your face.




Kweli Kisses Lip Balm 

¼ cup shea butter
¼ cup beeswax (I use pastilles)
20 drop of your favorite lip smacking delicious essential oil 

Preheat a saucepan with about two inches of water to a temperature warm enough to melt ingredients (you may have to play around with this to make it work for you and your level of patience, my level is low). Measure all your ingredients except the eo’s into a glass jar (for this I recommend something like a Pyrex measuring cup with a spout for easy pouring, but I use an old pickle jar). Stir occasionally with a knife. I set the lid of my jar on top because you don’t want any water to get in your potion.

In the melting stages
When it’s all melted, remove from the water bath and add your eo’s and stir (I have made a batch with lavender and one with peppermint). Now carefully pour the hot liquid into the little lip balm tubes or containers, this makes about 20 tubes worth. The first patch was messy - I missed a lot, the second batch I used the spouted glass and it worked a lot better – luckily the clean-up is easy.


Shelf life on this is one year…I cannot imagine it even lasting a month but hey, some people probably don’t have the same level of dedication to lip balm usage as I do.

Where to shop: I am an Amazon junkie. I have multiple wish lists set up – one just for craft supplies I reorder. I also live in a pretty small town where supplies and products are scarce. Two other sources I love to shop at are AromaTools and My OilBusiness - its supporting people since I can’t shop local. [All the links to the products are at Amazon but please shop local first and price compare - I noticed an increase for the beeswax.]

Happy lip balm making!