Monday, May 27, 2013

Best FACE Forward *Part One*

One of the first beauty lessons I learned from my mom was: clean your face! Now this seems obvious and silly that she had to remind me all the time. Whenever I feel too lazy or tired to clean my face before bed, I hear my mom's advice automatically in my brain - like brushing my teeth, it just doesn't feel good to go to bed without doing it.

There are so many options for face cleansing products on the market today. Since I have started to experiment with making my own beauty products, the store versions seem even more expensive, plus they contain all those unknown ingredients. The following recipes are ones that I have tested. I have relatively clear, sensitive skin that can be slightly on the oily side; living in the desert, however, my skin tends to get dry.


Hydrating Facial Toner
I got this recipe from doTERRA's fall 2012 magazine. I've been using it for a few months and really like it. 
What you'll need:
1/4 c water
1 T witch hazel
1/2 t veg glycerin
5 drops of each essential oil: clary sage, grapefruit, roman chamomile
3-4 oz bottle (spray or cap)*
What to do:
Combine all ingredients in your bottle, shake to blend. 
Spray on skin or use a cotton ball/pad to apply to face. 
Lasts 2 months
*Glass is preferred. I currently house mine in a plastic bottle. With enough additional mediums (i.e. liquid and/or carrier oil) added to the EOs, you are able to prevent the negative affects EO's may have on plastic containers.




Fresh Strawberry Mask
I got this one from Mother Earth Living {click here} and it smells (and tastes) delicious!
What you'll need:
1/2 c fresh strawberries
1 T plain yogurt or sour cream
What to do:
Mash the strawberries. Add the yogurt and stir to make a paste. Apply to your face and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse with water and pat face dry. 
Tips: I mashed the strawberry with a potato masher and I never got quite a "paste" consistency desired. Next time, I'll try a whirl in the Magic Bullet. I used Greek yogurt because it's what I had.
Thoughts:  I used this mask while writing this post and I was skeptical. It did solidify like a commercial mask would over the 20 minutes and when I washed it off, my face felt really soft and clean. I'm impressed!



Sugar + Honey Facial Scrub
I blogged this recipe {here} and I wish I knew where I got the idea but I didn't write it down (apologies). 
What you'll need:
1 tsp honey
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp water
2 drops frankincense (or lavender)
What to do:
Mix all ingredients together. Massage for 3-5 minutes on face and neck. Rinse with warm water.


Check back next Monday for Part Two - more great recipes for a clean face. If you have any great recipes, I'd love for you to share them!