Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring {Skin} Scrub

Spring means fresh and clean! 
With the days getting longer, the songbirds singing and shiny green shoots beginning to emerge after a long winter. 

It also means warmer weather, flip flops, and rolled up jeans. Being that I'm originally a western Oregon girl, it can also mean rainy days complete with sweatshirts and galoshes. Lately, I've become a high desert rat where wearing flip flops is the norm. The desert environment and a winter of wood stove heat with low humidity has taken its toll on my skin; leaving it dead, dry and cracked.




Here's a few Lea-tested scrubs to help you get rid of that old wintery dry skin and bring on soft spring-like skin again.

Hand (and Foot) Scrub
I mentioned this in my foot spa post {click here}. 

What you'll need:
Pink Dawn dish soap
White sugar
Clean jar or container

What to do:
Fill the jar 3/4 with the dish soap, add sugar, and stir until a paste forms. You'll likely need to keep adding sugar to get the paste-like consistency.


Lip Scrub
 I tested out a few recipes and this one was my favorite. Use this within two weeks. 

What you'll need: 
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar (I used white)
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp shea butter (softened)
EOs: I added 3 drops frankincense and 3 drops lavender for their healing properties.


What to do:
Add all ingredients together. If the shea butter isn't softened, warm it or whisk it before adding to the other ingredients. Stir together.
Take a dime size amount and rub your lips for 1-3 minutes. Wipe off excess and rinse with warm water. 
Pamper your lips with a lovely lip balm (may I suggest a this one?).

Face Scrub
Sugar & Honey Facial Scrub - This was one was softer and felt really nice afterwards!

What you'll need:
1 tsp honey
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp water
2 drops frankincense (or lavender)

What do do:
Mix all ingredients together. Massage for 3-5 minutes on face and neck. Rinse with warm water. 
~~~~
This super easy facial scrub came from the doTERRA magazine. I felt like it was a little rough for my sensitive skin but it was so easy I wanted to include it.

What you'll need:
1 tsp granulated sugar
water (just a few drops)
1 drop wild orange essential oil

What to do:
I combined it all in my hand and then rubbed it all over my face, avoiding the eye area. Massage in a circular motion for 30-45 seconds. Rinse. 


Body Scrub
After the long winter, we all wish for a sunny, warm beach! But since we can't all get there this Coconut Lime Scrub transports you to a beach scene, right in your shower. Got the idea and shaving tips {here}.

What you'll need: 
1/2 cup coconut oil (on the melty side)
1 1/4 cup white sugar
12 drops lime essential oil (or 3 Tbsp real lime juice, or to your smell preference)
Jar(s)

What to do:
Add all ingredients together. Slightly melting the coconut oil allows it to mix in well with the sugar. I added 12 drops of lime essential oil because I love the smell, reminding me of a delicious frozen drink with an umbrella - but you can adjust this to your preference.
This made approximately 16 oz, so I put it in two plastic jam jars for the shower - one to keep and one to give away.
Added bonus: Lime essential oil helps with cellulite!!! 
Second added bonus: I didn't need lotion after my shower.


Happy spring {skin} cleaning!