Monday, January 20, 2014

Itch Stick

I have been looking for a recipe for a DIY anti-itch cream for about a year. As an outdoor enthusiast (even if it's just sitting in my lawn reading), I get a lot of bug bites or run into a number of plants that seem to cause me to get the "itches". With all my troubles of itching, it seemed as if a recipes for an anti-itch cream was illusive. 

Then I got a copy of  Aromahead Institute's book Essential Living, which you can purchase {HERE}. As a side note: I love this book and recommend you get a copy, it's full of recipes for home and body. As I was reading various recipes, this one jumped off of the screen at me. It uses ingredients that I have used in many other DIY body products and, even better, I had the three essential oils needed. Here's the recipe for you to try:



Itch Stick Recipe
by Aromahead Institude
0.5 oz jojoba oil
1 oz coconut oil
0.5 oz beeswax
15 drops lavender essential oil
15 drops helichrysum essential oil
5 drops peppermint essential oil



Melt first three ingredients in a warm water bath. 
Add essential oils, fill tubes. Allow to fully cool and harden.


Makes 12 5ml plastic tubes (I spilled some so it made 11, I used lip balm tubes.)

Recipe reprinted with permission from Andrea Butje. 
Linked up on: The Prairie Homestead, From the Farm , Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways