Monday, April 1, 2013

Confessions of a flu victim

For those of you that follow A Drop of This, you know that we recently endured a bout of the flu. It was not fun and just as bad as everything I'd seen in the news (but didn't think would happen to me).

While laying on the couch with sore muscles, coughing every few minutes, barely able to breathe through my stuffed up nose, I wasn't thinking clearly. So what did I do? I went with what I knew.


Over the course of the winter, I had been writing down flu remedies and potions in my essential oils journal. You'd think having the forethought to document such recipes would help me out, right?! Turns out, I was so sick that changing the channel on the TV was a chore, so there was no way I was going to get my journal and my books out to read up on what to do.

This is where I went with what I knew...
  • Diffuse respiratory blend, this was running most of the day and when we went to sleep.
  • protective blend roller ball
  • Lime for a cough
In addition to these essential oil remedies, I also went with the traditional medicines that people use when they're sick - more specifically NyQuil© and cough drops.

So now that I'm not sick, I have a plan!! I'm going to make a list of all the things that can be used instead of traditional medicines such as NyQuil© and cough drops. These are all of the things I wish I could have remembered when I was too sick and out of it to get online. I'm going to write them all down and have an easy to access list of what to do, when to do it and how often. Then I'll put the list in an easy to get to place - like on top of the NyQuil© box. 

Some links to help you make your own list include:
Flu shot in a Bottle
Herbs for Cold and Flu
Essential oils for Cold & Flu
Natural Illness Prevention & Treatment


How do you fight your flu (and cold) naturally? 
I'd love to add your ideas to my list.


Please read the disclaimer for A Drop of This {click here}
This post has been updated to reflect new information I have learned - you may find things omitted that were previously there. In recipes, I have crossed out the old amount and added the new. I no longer consume essential oils.  10/2013