Monday, April 29, 2013

Salt Lid + Mason Jar = Awesome

During a late night web surfing session, I came across this idea. A mason jar with a spout top? Unheard of...I just had to try it. As I was cleaning today, it just so happened that I finished a jar of salt scrubbing out my sink and I remembered the idea. Perfect! I decided to figure out how to make it. After I did, I sent a picture of it to my friend (and behind the scenes A Drop of This girl) Krysta and she said it would be even better embellished. I LOVE EMBELLISHMENTS!! 


Here's a step-by-step guide on what I did to get a pour spout on a mason jar for free (assuming you have the salt container). 

Step 1: Peel off the label from the salt jar. At the top you'll see the lid is glued onto the body. It was pretty easy to "pop" off the lid by pressing at the top of the body, creating a tear, then just go around in a circle to remove the lid.
Step 2: In order to allow the mason jar ring to thread onto the jar, I cut off a very small strip from the salt jar lid.
Step 3: Put the salt jar lid into the wide mouth mason jar ring. Press it all the way in. 
Step 4:  Screw the mason jar lid to the mason jar and you are ready to embellish - or use it as it is!

**I like to see ideas for projects because at times I have a hard time coming up with my own creative idea until I've gotten some inspiration. Here's a few ideas I put together to help get your creative juices flowing. 


This would be great for bath salts, loose leaf tea, or a kitchen mix (i.e. substitute for cream of **). In the spring, you could put your fertilizer in it for easy sprinkling on your garden and in the winter you could use it for ice melt! It's a fun idea to add something special when giving a gift.

I'd love to know how you'll be using these. I almost went to the store to buy a bunch more salt containers, but didn't want to waste the salt (or store all that extra salt).