Monday, February 3, 2014

{Scented} Love Notes

In preparation for Valentine's Day, I have been making a few cards to send out to people. This brings back the memory of the box of cards my mom would buy from the pharmacy and bring them home to fill out. I would spend time writing the name of every kid in my class on those cards. After we spent time decorating our Valentine's box in class we were able to fill them up with cute little notes and treats. Do they still do that?




These days, I find myself always looking for ways to make lovely adult versions of those Valentine's Day cards I remember from my childhood. This year, I wanted to incorporate essential oils (one of my many LOVES). I gathered a few tips on how to do this.

Selecting a fragrance: 
  • Pick a fragrance that you and the receiver of your card have in common, one that they will associate with you, so the smell will bring forth happy memories of you. 
  • In The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy, Worwood lists the following essential oils for using with "serious matters of the heart in mind": jasmine, ylang-ylang, geranium, rose Bulgar, rose Maroc, Egyptian rose. 
  • Ylang-ylang is widely considered an aphrodisiac. 
  • Aromaweb has a list of aphrodisiac essential oils {HERE}.
How to add the fragrance: 
  • Pick your essential oils (or you can use perfume), you will only need a few drops, around 5 total.
  • Place the essential oils on a cotton ball. You can also use a piece of cloth cut into small pieces (1 inch or so), using four of the small pieces.
  • Put the stationary or cards into a box or bag with a seal, along with the scented cotton ball or cloth pieces. 
  • Let sit for at least 24 hours.

Sources: Aromaweb. Scented Greeting Cards & Tissue Paper Recipe. Retrieved from http://www.aromaweb.com/recipes/scentedpaperandcards.asp
Worwood, Valarie Ann. (1999). Scents And Scentuality: Aromatherapy & Essential Oils for Romance, Love and Sex. Novato, CA: New World Library.
Worwood, Valarie Ann. (1991). The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy. San Rafael, CA: New World Library. 

Linked up with: Homestead Barn Hop