Monday, April 28, 2014

DIY Solid Perfume

I fell in love with the idea of making a solid perfume in a locket over the winter when I saw a number of DIY examples as I was browsing the interwebs reading blog posts and shopping on Etsy. After seeing all of the fun, I knew that I would have to give it a try.



I scoured eBay for lockets. While waiting to be the winning bidder, I found a recipe that sounded lovely and used ingredients that I already had. My recipe is inspired by this one at Mountain Rose Herbs {HERE}. 


Solid Perfume
3/4 c almond oil
1/4 c grapeseed oil
1/2 tsp vit E
1/4 c beeswax pastilles

Using a warm water bath, melt the beeswax in with the other three ingredients. I use a recycled pickle jar in a pan of 1-2 inches of water, just under boiling (I put my stove top on 4, just under medium). Stir frequently and watch constantly. Remove once beeswax has melted. 
Add essential oil blend after removing from heat. Stir to blend. 
This makes a total of 2 oz. 

Earth Aroma Essential Oil Blend 
10 drops clary sage10 drops sweet marjoram
10 drops vetiver
5 drops lavender
5 drops juniper


I used this blend from Mountain Rose Herbs. It is a great blend for both men and women. You can substitute any blend you like, just remember to use the appropriate dilution rates [find a chart HERE].

In order to get it easily into the locket and not make a HUGE mess, try using a dropper, pipette (available HERE) or even a spoon. I poured it from my glass jar and it messy but effective. 
I'd love to see the lockets you use, share them with me on Facebook or Twitter

Linked up with: Homestead Barn HopNo Rules Weekend Blog Party, From the Farm, Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop