Monday, May 5, 2014

DIY Hummingbird Food

I saw the first hummingbird out my window last week. It went right to where I usually hang my feeder. You know what that means, right? Spring!! It's time to get my hummingbird feeder out again. Yay!



This time of year I am always looking for a recipe to make my own hummingbird food. It's cheaper and better for the birds (that red stuff at the store is gross!). 

Hummingbird Food Recipe
4 parts water
1 part sugar
Boil this solution to kill bacteria and make it last longer. I boil the water, remove from heat, then stir in the sugar, making sure it is completely dissolved. Let it cool before use. You can store the extras in the refrigerator. 

Important tips: 
-Replace and clean your feeder every few days. Professionals suggest doing this anywhere between one or two days to a week, depending on the outside temperature. 
-Use WHITE SUGAR only! Any other sugar or sweeteners can be harmful and even kill hummingbirds. 

With Mother's Day approaching, a great gift idea would be to get a hummingbird feeder and make a batch of this food. Don't forget to include the recipe so she can make more. 

Sources: 
Kern River Preserve, Audubon California. (October 21, 1998). Feeding Hummingbirds. Retrieved from http://kern.audubon.org/hummer_feeding.htm
Janet & Brian, Wild Bird Shop. (1995). Feeding Hummingbirds. Retrieved from http://www.wildbirdshop.com/Birding/humfeed.html