Monday, August 18, 2014

DIY Hibiscus Iced Tea

When we lived in Southern Utah, on occasion we would go out to eat at Oscar's Cafe outside Zion National Park. It is a grill with great outdoor seating and was one of my favorites because they served hibiscus iced tea. It was so delicious! I have been missing it this summer. I knew there had to be a recipe out there to make your own but, as I've mentioned before, recipes intimidate me. 



Then I met a new friend, Alisha, and we got to talking about our favorite drinks. She mentioned hibiscus flowers, which lead me to tell her about the iced tea I was missing. She came up to support our movie fundraiser a few weeks ago and brought me a surprise!!! It was a bag of dried hibiscus flowers and a recipe for hibiscus syrup. How perfect is that? I was so excited! Making it could not have been easier! Now I can add this to my iced tea...or a cocktail.


Hibiscus Syrup
~ Recipe by Alisha Jackson ~
1 c water
1/4 c sugar
1 c dried hibiscus flowers

Boil water and dissolve sugar. 
Add dried flowers, stir, 
let sit a couple of hours and strain.



To Make Lea's Version of Hibiscus Iced Tea:
Add 2-3 oz of hibiscus syrup to 10-12 oz of iced tea. Experiment with this to get the flavor you're looking for. (Side note: this doesn't taste like Oscar's Cafe's version, but it is really delicious.)



Linked up with: From the Farm, Homestead Barn Hop, NO Rules Weekend Blog Party, Make My Saturday Sweet, Fulfilled Fridays