Monday, December 1, 2014

Book Review: Essential Oil Safety



Book Title: Essential Oil Safety, Second Edition
Author: Robert Tisserand, Rodney Young

Published: 2014
My star rating: 5/5




My thoughts: This book took me almost a month to get through; it took me back to my college days of studying chemistry. This is reminiscent of a textbook in length, as well as quantity and quality of information. Despite that, I was pleasantly surprised by the readability of this text. I didn't read every word, but I did read a vast majority of it. For me, the most important aspect of this book is the ability to pull it off of my shelf and access the safety information within. 

I recommend getting a few packs of tabs to help you set up this book for easy reference  (thanks to Tonya at Created2Fly for giving me this tip). Here's a photo of what my tab set up looks like:



The blue tabs mark each chapter, the yellow long tabs mark the Essential Oil Profile and Constituent Profile chapters. Within those two chapters, I used small tabs to mark the essential oils (green) and constituents (purple) alphabetically. I used a few small pink tabs to mark charts I wanted to reference. 

What's inside you ask? The fifteen chapters are as follows: 
  • Introduction 
  • Essential oil composition
  • Toxicity
  • Kinetics and dosing 
  • The skin
  • The respiratory system
  • The cardiovascular system
  • The urinary system
  • The nervous system
  • The reproductive system
  • Cancer and the immune system
  • Essential oil profiles
  • Constituent profiles
  • General safety guidelines
Following these chapters you will find another 100 pages of information, including 80 pages of references!

Overall, I would recommend this book for readers who use essential oils with any kind of frequency, read other essential oils books and blogs. This is, in my opinion, THE resource to use for cross reference all other information you read. 

Interested in picking up your own copy? You can purchase the book HERE.

Source: Tisserand, Robert & Rodney Young (2014). Essential Oil Safety, (2nd edition). Churchill Livingstone Elesvier.

Linked up: Inspire Me Monday