Monday, January 12, 2015

Spice Up Your Spice Rack

I've been wanting to update my spice jars. It has been tumbling around in my head for awhile. Are you like that with projects? I have to think about it, sometimes for months, figuring out how I'm going to do it, come up with several (usually very complex) ideas, completely over think it and then one day *BOOM* I think of the easiest way to do it and get it done! That's not always the case, but definitely was in this instance. I got this spice rack as a wedding present from my friend, Abby. This fall we will have been married ten years (WOW!) and we have lived in four houses since then - and this spice rack has been along for the ride, finding a place in all of my kitchens. The labels have rubbed off on some bottles while others have been relabeled with a Sharpie. I've been thinking about a way to spice it up for awhile, but wasn't sure what route to take.



Today I grabbed some sugar on of my bin, saw the chalkboard sticker on it and *light bulb* got to work on making new labels for my spice jars. 

First off, they needed to be cleaned. I don't want to think too hard about why they get so much gunk on them sitting out on the counter, so I skipped that thought process and just wipe them down! I cleaned the base too. I just used water, a rag and some elbow grease. 

Supply list:

Yup that's it, three items! Probably many of you have them already in your craft bins, I did. Don't you love that?! Extra easy: if you don't have the chalkboard vinyl and punch, you can buy chalkboard labels at a lot of retailers.

Step 1: Punch out your vinyl. You could also cut it with scissors or use a cutting machine like a Silhouette Cam
eo (which I LOVE).

Step 2: Use your chalk pen to write you spice name on the label. (If this is your first time using a chalk pen, read the directions and test it out before starting; they take a little getting use to.)


Step 3: Peel off the back of the sticker/vinyl and place on your jar.

Note: You can switch step 2 and 3 if you'd like. A few of mine did get smeared when I applied them (this is likely because I didn't wait for them to dry...I'm not good at waiting). 


Ta-da! You're done. Easy peasy and it looks so nice, like a new spice rack! Any time I can re-style something to keep it out of the landfill and save myself some money I get excited.