Monday, February 18, 2013

Favorite EO + Vodka = Custom Linen Spray

One of my favorite luxuries has always been linen spray. There's just something about it that makes me feel special. It's like those scented drawer liners, they remind me of another time (or another income bracket)For me, linen spray was always an extravagance that when put in the cart next to all the other needs, often found itself re-shelved

My world shifted for the better when I discovered I could make it myself. Pure bliss!

You met Kweli, the dog-child, in this post; she's allowed anywhere she wants in the house. Unfortunately, sometimes she smells (weird I know), thereby leaving beds -hers and ours- and furniture smelly. My husband is a Hotshot (that's an elite wildland firefighter), so he smells and his clothes and gear smell...leaving whatever they touch stinky.

As you can imagine, I spray everything - sheets, bedding, towels, dogs beds, dog blankets, curtains, the floor, furniture, the upholstery of my car. You name it, I spray it!

An internet search will quickly lead you to a ton of blog posts about this and everyone seems to have the same recipe. (Including One Good Thing by Jillee and Camp Wander) Did I mention many of you will have everything you need to make this already? Can it get any better? 

Custom EO + Vodka Linen Spray



1/4 cup vodka 
3 1/2 cup water (filtered/distilled)**
20 drops essential oil*
Spray bottle (another great reuse opportunity)

Add all ingredients to spray bottle and shake. Spray away your smellies.

*Scent ideas: Lavender is by far the most popular. 
Lavender + Grapefruit = delicious (10 drops each)
Grapefruit+ Bergamot + Orange =  a citrus blast
Peppermint (bonus, it'll keep the spiders away)

*I'm not gonna lie, I used tap water and haven't had any problems, but everyone else said distilled or filtered.


To try out different combos, I made a batch of water + vodka.
Then I poured it into 1 oz spray bottles.
Added 1 - 2 drops of EO.
(My rationale being that a full batch was roughly 28 oz with 20 drops of EO.)
In The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, Valerie Ann Worwood recommends 4 drops per 1 cup of water for room spray and 8 drops per 2 1/2 cups of water for air fresheners. 

Create your custom scent and spray away the smellies!

This post has been updated to reflect new information I have learned - you may find things omitted that were previously there. In recipes, I have crossed out the old amount and added the new. 10/2013