Monday, June 17, 2013

Review: "The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy" plus 3 recipes

One of my favorite essential oil (EO) books, that taught me a lot about implementing EO use into my life (aka the #eolife), is Valerie Ann Worwood's The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy



As you can see from the picture, I have a lot of recipes and charts marked. I've made quite a few of the recipes, or used them as a starting point to make my own creations, using oils I already have. She has wonderful charts in the appendix that feature EOs to use for different skin types and beauty conditions, plus a chart of EOs she references in the book and many more.

Ms. Worwood has an impressive history with essential oils and aromatherapy. She is British - I mention this because I had to look up several terms she uses and medical conditions to discover they were something I knew by another name. This book was published in 1991, I felt that most of the information was current. 

I recommend this book to everyone who uses essential oils - from beginners and to those who have been using them for years - it's a WIN for everyone! As an added bonus, for those just beginning the EO journey, you'll enjoy the chapters "Your Basic Care Kit" and "Your Basic Travel Kit." Those who already use EOs in daily life, might find "The Stillroom" a new challenge. 

Here's are a few recipes from the book:

After-Sun Oil (pg 48)*
10 drops lavender
5 drops chamomile
1 drop bergamot
2 drops geranium
Diluted in
approx 2 oz almond oil
2 T sesame oil
Apply all over the body after showering or bathing.

Beard Conditioning Formula (pg 280)*
10 drops rosemary
5 drops lavender
5 drops thyme linalol
10 drops lemon
Diluted in 4 t almond oil plus 2 t jojoba oil. 
During the growth period apply some of the conditioning oil around the beard area once a day, massaging in well and wiping off the excess. 

The Stimulating Living Room Synergistic Blend (pg 309)*
8 drops grapefruit
4 drops lavender
4 drops lime
2 drops basil
Mix in these proportions.
Can be used in a room spray (4 drops per 1 cup water), diffuser, light bulb, radiator, or humidifier method or add the oils to your potpourri. 

*From The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy. Copyright © 1991 by Valerie Ann Worwood. Reprinted with permission from the publisher New World Library. www.newworldlibrary.com