Monday, June 3, 2013

Best FACE Forward *Part Two*

Last week, I talked about how my mom's advice to "always clean my face" is continuously in my head. In that post, I gave some great recipes for face care, that I tested. 
There are so many great recipes for different products (masks, mists, cleansers, moisturizers, etc) it was too overwhelming for just one post. Here are a few more great ways to put your best face forward.

Face Cleanser/Wash
I found this recipe on DIY Natural {click here} and used their variations to make it my own.
What you'll need:
1/4 c castile soap
1/8 c water
1/8 c rosewater
8 drops essential oils - 4 drops lavender, 4 drops chamomile
What to do:
Combine ingredients, mix well. Pour into a small container. Makes 4 oz.
Tips:  I used a 6 oz squirt bottle, wanting the extra room to shake up the ingredients before each use. Change the EOs to suit your skin type or scent preference. Check out DIY Natural's post for other ideas to make it fit you.



Anti-Aging Blend
This is great in a roller bottle for easy application. This anti-aging blend helps skin at the cellular level; use it to reduce wrinkles and help with youthful looking skin.
What you'll need:
1 part frankincense
1 part cypress
1 part lavender
carrier oil
What to do:
Add to roller bottle {like these} or {try these}. Dab around facial bones, avoiding your eyes.
Tip: Remember to dilute it 1 or 2%  - check out this chart here to help. 

Facial Mist
I made this because I had a 5ml of frankincense with a little bit left in the bottle but not enough to drop out. I love it. I spritz myself with it all the time.
What you'll need:
3 1 drops of each essential oil: frankincense, lavender (Note: this is a 3% dilution.)
Witch hazel
Glass bottle 
Spray top {like these}
What to do:
Drop in your EOs and top with witch hazel , shake to mix. This is good for any size bottle. Another great way to upcycle your empty EO bottles!



Moisturizer
use my fix (almost) everything salve {found here}. 
What you'll need:
1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 cup coconut oil
2 Tablespoons beeswax pastilles
EO Option 1: All Purpose - 20 drops lavender, 10 drops lemon*, 10 drops tea tree 

EO Option 2: anti-aging blend - 13 drops each of Frankincense, Cypress and Lavender
Glass jars (such as 4 oz mason jars)

What to do:
Melt coconut oil, olive oil and beeswax in a glass jar in a warm water bath. Stir occasionally. When it's all melted, remove from heat. Add one of the two EO options above. Stir and pour into glass jars. Let cool. Wait until the salve is completely cool to put the lid(s) on.
This recipe will make two 40z jars.

The dilution is 1% (40 drops of EOs to 8 oz of base).
*Lemon is phototoxic so use caution when apply to skin that will be exposed to the sun, more info HERE.

What other beauty products do you use and make? 


This post has been updated to reflect new information I have learned - you may find things omitted that were previously there. In recipes, I have crossed out the old amount and added the new. 10/2013, 12/2013, 1/10/2015