Monday, July 28, 2014

Garbage Can Spray

I hate the smell that comes from garbage cans. It can make a clean kitchen smell very un-clean. In our house, we have a recycling can and a garbage can. Both smell. 



Last year, I came across a post for a homemade essential oil disinfecting spray that the author used for her trash cans. It worked great.

Trash Can Homemade EO Disinfecting Spray
by Conscientious Confusion
1.5 c water
5 drops tea tree essential oil
5 drops lemon essential oil
Add to a glass or metal spray bottle.
Shake before each use.
Spray inside of the can when you change the bag.

After using this spray for about a year, a cat adopted our family. This prompted me to really changed the way I was using essential oils in the home after she started living in the house full time. Since cats process essential oils differently than people and dogs, I am very conscious of them negatively impacting her. I have stopped using tea tree essential oil except in things I know she won't be exposed to. {Read more about cats and essential oils HERE and HERE.} 



So I needed a new trash can spray, luckily that wasn't hard to find.

Deodorizing Spray for Trash
by Essential Living - Aromahead
Makes a 16 oz bottle.
15 oz water
1 oz vinegar
20 drops peppermint essential oil
30 drops orange essential oil
30 drops lemon essential oil
Shake well. 
Spray can 3-4 times and add a new bag.
Variation - I use a 4 oz bottle and do a splash of vinegar in the water, 5 drops peppermint EO, 7 drops orange EO and 8 drops lemon EO. 

Do you have a favorite garbage can spray recipe? I'd love to hear it.

Sources:
Butje, Andrea (2012). Essential Living: Aromatherapy Recipes for Health and Home. Black & Butje, Inc. 
Jenny (2012, August 1). Lysol alternative: essential oil disinfectant spray.
Retrieved from http://www.conscientiousconfusion.com/2012/08/lysol-alternative-essential-oil-disinfectant-spray.html