Monday, September 30, 2013

All Purpose Healing Balm

As you probably know, I love the All-Purpose Salve That Solves it All. I am also very fond of the All-Purpose Healing Stick. Recently, I sent my brother a 5mL roller bottle of the healing stick and his response was, "Can you make me something more like a paste or cream?" Although he liked the idea, the healing stick is wet and can drip (but in my opinion evaporates quickly). 

So for weeks I've been thinking about how to make something more like an over-the-counter first aid cream. Then one day it hit me and I had that wonderful "light bulb" moment. I decided to combine two of my favorite things - the above mentioned Salve That Solves it All and my lip balm recipe, affectionately called Kweli Kisses.  Voila! 


All-Purpose Healing Balm
1/8 c (2 Tbsp) coconut oil
1/8 c shea butter
1/8 c beeswax
13 12 drops each of 
lavender, lemon & tea tree essential oils

Melt the first three ingredients in a glass jar (preferably with a pour spout) 
in a warm water bath on the stove. 
When melted, remove from heat and let cool. 
Add EOs and stir thoroughly.
Pour into lip balm containers, 
I used tubes and round containers.
Makes two ounces or 8 tubes and 3 small containers.

To use: Apply to skin to aid in healing.


How about a 
little education to go along with this great recipe:
Dilution - I used a 2% dilution in determining the drops of EOs - 10-12 drops per 1 ounce carrier oil. 
Shea Butter - In the 100% pure, high quality variety, the vitamin A is an amazing moisturizer and has skin healing properties. It's great at improving skin issues like eczema and wrinkles but also great for bug bites, skin allergies and sunburns. It also contains vitamin E. For more info on shea butter, check out this website {American Shea Butter Institute}.
Coconut Oil - This oil has so many benefits and healing skin is one of them. You can see links to research by visiting this website {Green Med Info}.
Beeswax - It doesn't just make your potions more solid, it also has great skin benefits as well. It locks in moisture and protects skin from the elements (wind, dry air, etc.). It also has anti-bacterial properties. Check out more at {Honey House Naturals}.


Shopping guide: Awesome chapstick labels by Tonya @ Created 2 Fly {click here}, coconut oil from Costco, beeswax and shea butter from Amazon.
This post has been updated to reflect new information I have learned - you may find things omitted that were previously there. In recipes, I have crossed out the old amount and added the new. 10/2013